Monday, March 5, 2012

The shot

I had not seen Branden since college, like 3 years ago. Time had passed, and memories and hairlines had faded. But I always remembered Branden as the nice Asian guy from the Sigma Chi fraternity that was super sweet. And not that he was not now, but let me set the scene. It was a Saturday night, and Branden and I, who had recently rekindled through Facebook, met up at Dogz. Btw, I thought Dogz would be douchy, but it is the coolest most chill bar on 2nd St. Long Beach. Anyway, they have this shot that is awful, but you win a hat if you take it. It is Everclear, Bloody Mary mix, mustard, and the tip, just the tip, of a hot dog. It is like a right of passage, other than wearing an RVCA shirt, into Long Beach cool culture.
I ask Branden if he would like a shot, but he declines. I am not one to push the issue as I do not want to be held accountable for anyone's actions, let alone my own. He still drinks beer the way Paris Hilton devours camera time every time she sees TMZ, but I thought that it would be fun to end our night at Crow's. For those who aren't acquainted with Crow's, just know that this is the place where you should end your night. I have kissed both a midget and a friend's dad there. I hope that I don't have to explain myself any further, and you're getting the picture of what kind of place this is. Either way, Branden drives me the half mile down to Crow's, and in that time, he tells me that the reason he did not take the shot is that he has had two DUI's. I wasn't sure if it was inappropriate to ask him to pull over so that I could walk the last 2 blocks to Crow's or not, but I did double check to make sure that my seatbelt was fastened. Does the first time you're taken to the clink really not deter one from future episodes of drinking and driving?

No comments:

Post a Comment