Monday, March 5, 2012

Training Day

It always makes me laugh when black people have conspiracy theories about conspiracy theories. I remember in college, let's call it Fall 1996, that Tupac died. I was talking to my suitemate Quincy, obviously African American as I know no white people with that name, and when I brought up Tupac's murder he was like 'you don't believe that Tupac is really dead do you?' I need to paint a visual right now because it is imperative to this story. I had literally just moved to Long Beach from a small farm town in Central Illinois three weeks earlier.
"Um, yes. Yes, I do think he is. It's all over the news," was my answer.
He looked at me like I was a white girl from the Midwest wearing pig tails and overalls...which I was. I might have only had one overall strapped over my shoulder at the time in a valiant effort to be cool.
Fast forward 15 years later to a random conversation that I was having with a black friend of a friend about Tookie Williams, one of the Crip gang members who was convicted of shooting a convenience store employee, and sentenced to the death penalty. When we talked about the murder Tookie was convicted of, this guy was like 'do you realize that Tookie was convicted of crimes that others committed? Do you really think that he killed that convenience store worker?'
"Um, yes, yes I do," I said.
I can't help but imagine this paradise where Tookie and Tupac are hanging out with Harriett Tubman in the underground until...what, I'm not sure. It's just a funny visual.

No comments:

Post a Comment