Monday, December 13, 2010

The date that never happened

I don't think it's unreasonable for a woman in her thirties (and I'm trying really hard not to channel Carrie Bradshaw right now) to expect that when a guy asks her to dinner that it is considered a proper date. And since I am a dating expert and not a relationship expert, I know the difference between a date, a possible relationship, and a hook-up. A date is often with a guy that you are on the fence about sleeping with, but are totally open to ordering the steak and lobster on his dime. A possible relationship date is one in which little to no alcohol is involved because you are actually intersted in getting to know more about the other person than what they look like naked. A hook-up date is really not a date at all, but a simple text (no one calls any more, that is so 2002) where you hook up at a bar to prepare for the hooking up you'll be doing later on in the bedroom.
After a bunch of cocktails I thought a guy I had seen out on 2nd Street many times, Rick, was nice and fun. But then I saw him at a party two weeks later with a button down shirt and without his baseball hat on, and I realized that he was half my size with a receding hair line. At that same party I gave him my number because I have professed this time in my life to be "the year of the nerd" where I need to give guys I would not typically give a chance, a chance.
Rick ended up texting me the next night asking if I wanted to meet up for a drink. Since I try to limit my weekday drinking, I said no but then later asked if he wanted to meet for coffee the next night. Rick suggested dinner, and I agreed to meet him at 6 o'clock.
The next day I finally heard from Rick at 5 o'clock (via text of course): still wanna hang out?
This was already looking amazingly promising and romantic.
Sapphire: Sure. I'm starving. Where do you want to meet?
Rick: Evo. I'm having a drink with a friend. Want to meet us, and then we can do whatever you want?
If he would have recited some Robert Frost poetry after that text, it for sure would have been a panty dropper.
Sapphire: Are you hungry at all?
Rick: Kinda. I've been snacking all day.
Why didn't this guy plan anything? In case Rick and his Olsen twin frame didn't end up wanting to eat, I decided to make dinner at home. And then I realized that I'm not in my twenties any more, and I didn't want any more "let's hang out, have some brewskis and watch da Bears" dates. Like if someone asks you out, it's not supposed to be meeting you at a local bar so that you can drink your dinner.

1 comment: