Saturday, December 11, 2010

Moving Day Part Deux

The moving truck arrived in Los Angeles on a Friday, but for some reason it was not allowed to be dropped off at my new place until Monday evening. Do you know how hard it is to find people to help you move on a Monday? On a scale of 1-10, its a 57 (with 1 being the lowest). A co-worker and my old friend Chris helped me move but they were not able to get my 2-ton bear of a dresser out of the moving van. Knowing that I would again have to beg old male friends to help me move, I found two more co-workers willing to help me "move my dresser. It shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes of your time." The moving truck had dropped off the trailer that had all of my worldly possessions in it down the street so at 5 o'clock on a Wednesday afternoon me and my friends went to get my dresser out of the trailer and into my apartment. That's when the shit went down. It began with Peggy, a frail old lady who I'm sure was very pretty during her prime in the Great Depression.

"Who's truck is this?" she asked.

"Mine. We're just getting my dresser out, then the moving company will pick up the trailer," I said.

"Well, it's very rude that you would park this thing in front of my house," she sneered.

"We just need to get this last piece out, then it'll be picked up tonight." I was taken aback at her abrasiveness. Wasn't Judge Wapner or Judy or Brown on? Shouldn't she be pre-occupied with a Sodoku puzzle?

"You should have asked for my permission to park it here."

Now I was getting frazzled. "I need your permission to park on a public street? I apologize. It'll be gone soon."

Peggy paused. "You don't seem very sorry."

Now I've never been in a fist fight and it wouldn't help my street cred at all if my first one was with a AARP card carrying member, but this bitch was getting on my nerves.

Then another old neighbor lady came walking over. "Whose van is this?"

"My roommate's," I lied.

"How long will it be here?"

"It's leaving tonight. We're getting the last piece out for her now."

This was soon followed by the third Golden Girl, I would think she would be the Rose of the bunch, coming outside to see what all of the ruckus was about. "Whose trailer is this?"

"Are you kidding me?" my friend Nilax asked as he and Manny tried to maneuver

No comments:

Post a Comment