Monday, December 21, 2009

We'll Pick You Up

I worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car as my "first job out of college." Enterprise is the job where it is almost mandatory to rent cars, drink with bodyshop managers and insurance agents, and then make out with them, or each other. That last line gets a little blurry. I remember "bleeding green" so much that I fought for that 100% customer satisfaction score like I was working 80 hours a week and getting paid $200K (which was $174K more than I was making). But when you're fresh out of college, and you get hired by Enterprise, they may as well advertise that they will pay you in happy hours. I was so passionate about my "career," and cried so many tears after being passed up but being told to just "keep doing what you're doing, and you'll be promoted, champ," that I now look back from my current job and realized...I wasn't bleeding green. I was just severely hungover for six years and eight months.
I remember sending my Assistant Manager, we'll call him Hasim for liability reasons, to collect money from our renters who owed on their rental car. Enterprise allows cash renters, which is the equivalent of getting a royal flush in Poker. You never know how the hand is truly going to end up, but you're willing to risk it all for the grand reward. I would hand Hasim a list a couple of times a week, and he would always tell me that he was "working on the list." Finally, I asked for a complete rundown of what was going on with my cash report. At the first name, Nikki Adams, he cringed, and then said, "I didn't get the money, but I did get a blowjob."
At least he was honest.
I stared at Hasim. "Really?"
"Yes. Who else is on the list?"
"Maribel Cervantes."
"Her too."
"Her too, what?"
"We're going out on Friday."
"Dammit, Hasim, were you able to collect any money?"
"No."
And so was a typical day at Enterprise.

2 comments:

  1. At first I thought Hasim was Jimmy, but then I realized this AM had game and now I'm at a loss.

    ReplyDelete